This bread breaks all the rules about baking bread. No grains or yeast. It is gluten free and grain free, full of protein and oh yes, it is quite good. This bread can be used for sandwiches or toast – it is wonderful with a bit of honey for breakfast. You can find farmers cheese in the dairy section, also known as dry curd cottage cheese. It is very low in lactose so it might be tolerated by those with dairy sensitivities. If you are trying to stay away from grains, but still want to have a slice of bread once and awhile – give this a try, I think you will like it.
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 package farmers cheese (such as Friendship brand)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Oil a 4X8 glass pyrex bread pan and line the bottom with parchment paper
- In a food processor put all the ingredients in and pulse until well combined
- Spoon the batter in the pan (it will be stiff) and make sure it gets into all the corners and there are no pockets of air
- Bake for about 1 hour or until it is lightly brown and a tester comes out clean
- Let the loaf cool for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and remove to a rack – remove the parchment and cool completely
- Do not slice until completely cooled, it needs to firm up its texture
I used Trader Joes almond meal flour which grinds whole almonds with their skins, If you use blanched ground almond flour such as Bob’s Red Mill it will have a more refined appearance and texture.