These little rolls are positively addictive. The key to success is in the tapioca flour which can be found in the gluten free section of the grocery store. The tapioca flour creates a crispy exterior and a moist chewy interior, similar to popovers. I use silicone muffin cups instead of a muffin pan, you are guaranteed they won’t stick – if you do use a muffin pan, make sure they are very, very well greased. This batter can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator a few days which allows you to make just as many as you need since they are best right out of the oven.
Make 12 rolls
1 cup milk
½ cup canola oil
2 cups tapioca flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces grated cheese (about 1 cup) use Parmesan, Monterey Jack or shredded Mozzarella or a combination.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a blender combine the egg, milk, canola oil, tapioca and salt
- Add the cheese and blend until incorporated
- Divide equally into 12 silicone muffin cups (place the muffin cups on a cookie sheet)
- Bake for about 20- 22 minutes or until golden brown – they will be crisp on the outside and have a soft chewy interior
- Serve warm