Pure white silky bliss with a kick – that’s what this is. We served this on Christmas day with a standing rib roast, French green beans and a good bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. A simple, perfect meal shared with those I love.
4 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1 1/2 cups of half and half
1 stick of butter, cut into chunks
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup prepared bottled horseradish
- In a small sauce pan, heat the half and half, butter, salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot cover the potatoes with salted cold water by 2 inches
- Simmer the potatoes uncovered for about 25 minutes until very tender and then drain into a colander
- Pass them through a potato ricer into a bowl and add the half and half mixture
- Fold gently until combined
The potatoes can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between. They may need a bit more half and half for re-heating. Using the potato ricer will give a very silky texture, but you can use a potato masher, it will just not give you the same results.
From Thanksgiving to Christmas I washed and ironed fifty-two white napkins. Lipstick, gravy, cranberry sauce, red wine and raspberries all came out. This is my go to laundry product when my whites take a beating.