When we go out for Chinese food, one of us always orders this dish. Instead of adding the vegetables to the chicken, I added them to the rice which keeps them from being overpowered by the sauce.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
Combine the following in a bowl:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup tamari sauce (or soy)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon corn starch
Rice and Vegetables
12 oz savoy cabbage, sliced thin
8 oz snow peas
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Heat a saute pan to medium high and then add the chicken to brown (heating the pan first, then adding the oil makes it less likely to stick).
- When the chicken starts to brown add the cashews.
- When the cashews become fragrant add the sauce and stir until thickened.
- In another saute pan heat the butter and add the snow peas and the savoy cabbage.
- Saute the vegetables until tender and add the cooked rice and heat through.
- Top the rice and vegetable mixture with the chicken and serve.