This summer we have had a run of perfect peaches. Naturally, the bulk of them were eaten straight up, standing over the kitchen sink but always good to save a few for this recipe. I often double this crisp topping and reserve half in the refrigerator – it can keep for weeks. Also try it on top of blueberries, blackberries or a combination with the peaches. In the winter months when only frozen is available, add sugar to taste (between 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and 1 Tbsp of cornstarch tossed in with the frozen fruit – not a bad way to wait until summer returns.
1/2 cup Old Fashion Oatmeal
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup Flour (you can use Spelt flour)
1 tsp Cinnamon
6 peaches, peeled and sliced – to peel peaches, bring to a boil a large pot of water, put peaches in the boiling water for about 15 seconds, take out and cool on a kitchen towel. The skins will slip off.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl and work the butter with your hand until it is well distributed and pieces of dough are marble size
- Put the peaches in a 10″ pie pan and top with the crisp topping
- Bake for 45 minutes until it is brown and bubbly around the sides
- Cool to room temperature to serve with vanilla ice cream