A nice change from other rice or noodle based Asian dishes, serve as a light dinner or appetizer. I use the food processor to grind the chicken breasts and finely mince the mushrooms and onion.
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup light soy sauce or tamari sauce
2 tablespoons sake or white wine
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- Combine the above in a jar and shake to combine.
3 pounds ground chicken breasts
8 ounces white mushrooms, minced
1/2 cup onions, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small cans of water chestnuts
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 head hydroponic Bibb lettuce
(comes in a plastic clam shell box)
- Heat a large sauce pan, then add the vegetable oil.
- Add the mushrooms and the onion and brown lightly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir to break up the meat.
- When the chicken is almost fully cooked, add the jar of sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking until the sauce has thickened 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the water chestnuts.
- Separate the leaves of the lettuce and place on a platter.
- Fill each leaf with the chicken mixture and top with cilantro.