Cold, wet and late getting home Monday night. First, build a fire, then all else will fall in place. Dinner needs to be hot and quick. Hamburger Soup. This is from my mother; it was an easy way to feed a house full of children. This recipe uses all my pantry/freezer items I keep on hand. I took a chance, as my first posting being such a humble offering as this. The bottom line: Food is love, and this is uncomplicated and plentiful, as both should be.
1 pound ground beef (Chuck)
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 cup frozen diced onion*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 28 oz. can petite dice tomatoes with juice
2 dried bay leaves
1 1/2 cups cooked jasmine rice
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
(or 1 cup chopped fresh carrots, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup frozen baby peas)
1/2 cup white or red wine, whichever is open, or you are willing to part with
Chicken stock (or water and one large bullion cube) enough liquid to cover
- Saute the diced onions, rosemary and ground beef until the onions are soft and the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the petite dice tomatoes and stir.
- Add everything else. Cover with the chicken stock or water and bullion and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, 20 minutes or so..
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper
Add good bread and butter, and dinner is served!
*once you start using this short cut, you will wonder where they have been your whole life.